emergency room entrance

If you get injured by another driver or by slipping in a store, it seems simple enough to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver or a store owner. Can you sue a government entity though? What if you get hurt on government property, or suffer injuries due to the actions or negligence of someone acting on behalf of the government? You can sue for compensation, but the process is a little different when the government is involved. A seasoned York County, PA premises liability attorney can help you navigate this.

When Can I Bring a Suit Against a Government Entity?

There are many different situations where a citizen can sue a government entity. Examples include:

  • When a vehicle owned by the government is involved in an accident
  • When road conditions are dangerous and result in an accident
  • When a poorly maintained sidewalk causes injury
  • When someone is hurt due to dangerous conditions on state or municipal property

If you do plan to sue though, you need to act fast. You are not given much time to pursue legal action.

How Long Do I Have to Sue a Government Entity?

In most states, you have years to file a personal injury suit against someone who harms you in an accident. This is not the case when a government entity is a defendant. Your timeline for acting is much shorter. In Pennsylvania, you must file a claim within six months if you believe that a government agency has played some role in causing you or a loved one harm. That statement needs to contain information about the incident and the injuries sustained, including:

  • The name and address of the person injured
  • The name and address of the entity the claim is against
  • The date, hour, and approximate location of the incident
  • The name and address of the physician who verified the injuries

If this form is not complete, that could delay your attempts to pursue legal action.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

Even if you think that your case is simple and that you are clearly owed damages, it is not recommended that you try to pursue compensation on your own. Suing a government entity can be tricky, so having an experienced attorney on your side can be incredibly valuable.

Without a lawyer, you could run into problems right from the start. If your initial claim is not filed correctly, that can cause a delay. Depending on when you got around to notifying the state government of your action, that delay could potentially cost you your chance to pursue compensation. If you contact a lawyer quickly, they can make your claim and ensure that you do not miss this important deadline.

Call and Schedule Your Consultation

When you are suing a government entity for damages, you need to act quickly. So contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today and schedule your consultation. We would love to tell you more about how we can assist you with your case.