York County, PA Grandparents' Rights Attorney

Grandparents' Rights Law Firm Serving York and Lancaster County, PA

Grandparents’ Rights

Any time a family is torn apart by divorce, extended family members also feel the effects. Grandparents and their grandchildren often have a very close bond. It can be devastating to learn that they may not be able to spend as much time together as they once did. Unbeknownst to many, grandparents do have rights under the state’s law to help preserve the familial bond between them and their grandchildren. In the state of Pennsylvania, grandparents may petition the court for custody and visitation rights if the situation lends itself. If the court agrees that providing these rights is in the best interest of the child, they may order the custodial parent to allow access. Ilkhanoff & Silverstein has significant experience helping clients through these tough, emotional legal matters. We recognize the impact of these cases and take our responsibility seriously when handling these sensitive situations. If you are a grandparent that wishes to seek custody or visitation of your grandchild in Pennsylvania, contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today to discuss your case.

What rights do grandparents have?

When parents divorce, grandparents may be prevented from visiting the children. Under state law, grandparents can seek partial custody or visitation rights following a divorce, as well as when a parent has died, the parents have been separated for six months or longer, or if the child resided with the grandparents for 12 months or more before being taken away by the parents.

Partial custody allows a grandparent to visit with a child without the parent’s supervision. This can include taking possession of the child for a designated period of time, such as a weekend.

These rights are granted based on several factors, including:

  • The child’s prior relationship with his or her grandparents
  • If it is in the best interests of the child
  • If the visitation would interfere with parent and child relationships

If a grandparent receives visitation rights only, he or she can only visit with the child under the parent’s supervision. Visitation rights are also granted based on what the court believes is in the best interests of the child. If you are a grandparent seeking visitation rights or partial custody of a child, consult with a lawyer to find out about the petition process, and to discuss your legal options. Ilkhanoff & Silverstein is skilled in all family law matters, including securing visitation rights.

Contact a Pennsylvania Grandparents’ Rights Attorney

Ilkhanoff & Silverstein is a skilled family law firm that can provide effective legal counsel regarding your child visitation and custody rights. We have over four decades of litigation experience and give you valuable feedback regarding preparing and filing a petition. Our attorneys can explain the possible outcomes to your case, and what you can expect at the hearing. We provide professional and caring representation and will provide whatever legal assistance is needed when seeking the right to visit with your grandchildren. Contact a grandparents’ rights lawyer at Ilkhanoff & Silverstein to learn how to file a petition for visitation or partial custody of your grandchildren.

Read Our Latest News and Blogs