Over 60,000 pedestrians are injured every year in traffic accidents. These injuries can be devastating. Because pedestrian accidents happen so often and can be so severe, it is important to know how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in Pennsylvania.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents can be caused by any number of factors, including faulty car parts or hazardous road conditions. But, for the most part, pedestrian accidents occur due to driver or pedestrian negligence. The most common examples of this negligence include:
- Speeding drivers
- Driving without headlights at night or in bad weather
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drivers that do not pay attention to crosswalks, stop signs, or street lights
- Pedestrians who cross the road outside of the crosswalk
- Pedestrians who are not paying attention where they walk
Types of Compensation?
An accident can have serious consequences. As a result, there are two main types of compensation you may be able to receive.
- Economic Damages: you may be able to recover compensation for out-of-pocket expenses, including medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and more.
- Non-Economic Damages: you may be able to recover compensation for pain and suffering, physical impairment, disfigurement, and the deprivation of benefits of a family relationship due to injury or death.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you wish to pursue legal action for your injury, you will need to file your personal injury claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years. This means that if you fail to file within two years from the date of your accident, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation. An injury can take a serious toll, and if you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you deserve compensation for the burdens you face.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Pennsylvania, contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.