Car accidents are incredibly common. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Administration, a car accident happens every 60 seconds. Car accidents can be incredibly dangerous and have serious consequences. As a result, it is important to drive safely and responsibly. It is also useful to know the most common causes of car accidents and what to do if you are involved in an accident. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
What are the Most Common Causes of Accidents?
Car accidents can be caused by any number of factors. Some of these factors may include poor weather conditions, hazardous road conditions, and even faulty car parts. But, for the most part, accidents are caused by driver negligence.
The following types of negligent behavior can cause an accident:
- Texting or talking on a cell phone
- Ignoring traffic signals
- Paying more attention to something inside the vehicle than to the road
- Drunk driving
- Reckless driving and speeding
- Swerving through traffic
- General disregard for traffic laws
What if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are involved in an accident, you can become seriously injured. In some cases, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries. There are a few important steps you will need to take if you are involved in a car accident.
- Call 911. The police can call an ambulance for you, and help direct traffic around the accident to keep the roads safe. They can also take witness statements and chemical tests which will be useful when it comes to determining fault.
- Document the accident. If possible, you should take pictures and videos of the scene of the accident. Make sure to include evidence of the damage to all vehicles involved, as well as any conditions that may have impacted the accident.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel injured, it is important to go to the hospital and get checked out anyway. In some cases, you may be injured without realizing it or have an injury that does not show symptoms until later on.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. A car accident can take a major toll, physically, financially, and mentally. Contact our firm today to discuss your case. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.