After a couple gets divorced, they frequently realize that the terms initially negotiated months, or perhaps even years ago no longer accurately reflect their current situation in life. When this happens, couples, or at least one former spouse, will request something known as a post-divorce modification to better accommodate their current needs. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Pennsylvania divorce attorneys to learn more about post-divorce modifications and how we may be able to help you receive one.

What are some scenarios that may qualify for a post-divorce modification?

  • Your child has a change in schedule: When two parents share custody of a child, if that child has a significant change in his or her schedule, such as enrolling in a sport, it may be in that child’s best interest to have a modified custody schedule. Oftentimes, a change in schedule will warrant a child custody modification.
  • Your child has been exposed to some form of abuse: If you can prove that your former spouse exposed your child to some form of abuse, such as domestic abuse, or even if you can prove that your former spouse has a substance abuse issue of some kind, it may warrant a child custody modification.
  • Your former spouse is living with another person or has remarried: If you are the supporting spouse and your former spouse is now either living with another person or he or she has remarried, you may request a reduction or termination of your initial alimony agreement, as the other person should be contributing to the new partnership.
  • Your former spouse has recently come into money: If your former spouse has recently received a promotion, is working at a higher-paying job, has received a large inheritance, or even hit the lottery, this may very well warrant a reduction or termination of alimony.
  • Your child is emancipated in the eyes of Pennsylvania law: Once a child reaches a certain age, usually 18, he or she will be considered emancipated, meaning the supporting parent will most likely no longer have to pay child support. That being said, if you are the parent who receives child support and your child wishes to attend higher education, you may request a continuation of child support payments to help put the child through school.

As long as your attorney can prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances, you should be awarded the modification you need.


We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.