When motorcyclists share the road with other vehicles, accidents are bound to occur. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents often result in serious injuries. As a result, it is important to be educated about what to do if you are involved in a motorcycle accident and the steps you can take to protect yourself. Read on to learn more.
What Are Some Examples of Driver Negligence?
While faulty motorcycle parts, dangerous weather, or poor road conditions are often the cause of motorcycle accidents, the leading cause is human negligence. If you are injured on a motorcycle, the injuries you sustain may be far worse than if you were driving a different vehicle at the time of your accident. Therefore, the effects of another party’s negligence can be incredibly severe. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted or drowsy driving
- Excessive speed
- Sudden lane changes
- Texting or using other electronics without hands-free capability while driving
- Lane splitting
- Failure to yield
- Failure to check blind spots
- Failure to comply with traffic lights
It is important you know that the state of Pennsylvania recognizes contributory negligence in motorcycle accidents. This means that even if the other party was 75% to blame, your compensation may be adjusted accordingly. If the court determines your accident was more than 50% your fault, then you will most likely lose out on all your compensation.
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
If you were injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. In order to do so, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene: Many motorcyclists wear bodycams in order to document the cause of an accident, should one occur. Additionally, you should take pictures and videos at the scene.
- Seek medical attention: One of the most important things you can do is visit the hospital immediately after an accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact our firm today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.