Shopping is a favorite pastime for many, but it can be more dangerous than you realize. In fact, accidents of all kinds can occur in department stores. Read on to learn more about department store accidents in Pennsylvania.
How do Department Store Accidents Happen?
Department store accidents usually happen when store owners or employees act negligently. In Pennsylvania, store owners and their employees owe shoppers a duty of care. This means that they must keep the premises safe for patrons at all times. Failing to do so can result in serious accidents. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Spills left uncleaned
- Poorly placed floor mats
- Liquids on bathroom floors
- Falling merchandise from shelves
- Defective escalators, elevators, or other equipment used in the store
- Poorly lit parking lots
- Lack of security
What do I do if I am Injured in a Department Store?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. Before leaving the scene of the accident, be sure to:
- Call the police: The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: Take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek medical attention: One of the most important things you can do is go to the hospital after an accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, but, it will also provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you are recovering from a serious injury, taking legal action may be the last thing on your mind. But, it is important that you do not wait too long. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations is generally two years from the date of the accident. This may sound like a long time, but when you are recovering from an accident, it is easy to let important deadlines slip by. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing the opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve to heal.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.