Spring is here, which means more and more people will begin taking their bicycles out to enjoy the warm weather that accompanies the months ahead. Though cycling is generally safe, economical, healthy, and lots of fun, without the proper safety precautions, it can become extremely dangerous. That is why below, our Pennsylvania injury attorneys have compiled a list of some of the most useful tips for bicycle safety. Please continue reading to learn more.
- Inspect your bicycle before heading out. Never leave without first carefully checking your bicycle for tire pressure, properly working brakes, a functional bicycle chain, and more.
- Bike in the same direction as traffic. Do not bike against traffic. Always bike with traffic, and ensure you do so while traveling in a straight, predictable line and always use hand signals when you are ready to turn so you alert all other motorists in your area.
- Always wear a helmet when biking. Wearing a helmet that satisfied the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards may save your life. Even if you are not required to do so by law, wearing a helmet is perhaps the most important safety precaution you can take.
- Obey the rules of the road as if you were driving a car. Even though a bicycle is not a motor vehicle, you are still expected to obey the rules and regulations of the road. This means you should obey all traffic lights, stop at stop signs, and never bike while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Make sure all motorists can see you. Equip your bicycle with lights if you plan on driving at night. Additionally, make sure your bike has reflectors, and always wear bright, neon colors.
- Observe your surroundings. Cyclists encounter many dangerous conditions on a regular basis, including potholes, negligently designed roads, careless or aggressive drivers, and more. Be on constant lookout for these hazards and try to avoid them when possible.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident despite taking all of the aforementioned precautions, you were most likely injured as a result of another party’s negligence. If you believe you were wrongly injured, please do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced Pennsylvania personal injury attorneys today to learn more about how we can help you through the claims process. We are always here to help.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
There is nothing worse than sustaining injuries at the hands of a negligent party. Now, you must recover physically, and you must also find a way to pay for your recovery. This is why if you or someone you know has sustained injuries due to another party’s negligence, you must contact the Law Offices of Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today. An attorney who is willing to fight for your right to a smooth recovery can make all the difference.