man driving car

Drunk driving takes about 10,000 American lives every year. This is a number that should be reduced to 0. Unfortunately, this may never happen, and until it does, there are laws in place to help ensure those who violate them will be seriously punished. If you are someone who was injured at the hands of a drunk driver, you are most likely pursuing compensation to help pay for your medical bills and any other damages you have incurred. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the personal injury claims process:

Can I sue a drunk driver for causing an accident?

Fortunately, you can–especially if you were seriously injured. However, to successfully sue an individual, you must first satisfy the burden of proof. This means that you will have to hire an attorney who is capable of proving that you were injured due to another party’s negligence.

How can I prove my personal injury claim?

To prove your personal injury claim, an experienced attorney will work to recover security camera footage, or other photographic or video evidence of your accident as it happened. Additionally, attorneys can use medical documents, police reports, witness testimony, and more to prove your personal injury claim.

What are dram shop laws?

Many states across the country have dram shop laws in place to hold potentially negligent establishments and vendors that sell alcohol to certain individuals. In Pennsylvania, businesses or individuals who give alcohol to either a visibly intoxicated person, a minor under the age of 21, serve alcohol without a license, or serve alcohol after hours may be held accountable for any accident that ensues afterward.

For example, if a bar sells alcohol to a minor, and that minor gets behind the wheel of a car and crashes, the injured party may sue both the driver and the third-party responsible for selling the minor alcohol in the first place.

What is the statute of limitations in Pennsylvania?

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in the state of Pennsylvania is two years. This means that you will have two years from the date of your accident to file a claim against a negligent party. Do not wait, for if you wait past the statute, you will be denied the right to sue. Our firm is ready to help.

Contact our experienced Pennsylvania firm

There is nothing worse than sustaining injuries at the hands of a negligent party. Now, you must recover physically, and you must also find a way to pay for your recovery. This is why if you or someone you know has sustained injuries due to another party’s negligence, you must contact the Law Offices of Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today. An attorney who is willing to fight for your right to a smooth recovery can make all the difference.