Do You Still Pay Alimony if an Ex Remarries in Pennsylvania?

If you need help modifying or terminating your alimony payments, please read on, then contact an experienced York County, PA alimony attorney to learn if you still have to pay alimony if your ex gets remarried in Pennsylvania.

Does Pennsylvania have permanent alimony?

Yes, the Keystone State does have a system for permanent alimony, wherein one spouse provides payments to the dependent spouse for the remainder of either spouse’s lifetime or until other conditions are met. However, it should be noted that receiving an award of permanent alimony is incredibly rare. In some instances, you may have to pay for an indefinite period, such as in the case of reimbursement alimony, but generally, alimony payments have a cutoff point.

Does alimony terminate after an ex remarries in Pennsylvania?

As it so happens, your former spouse need not go so far as to remarry in order for his or her alimony award to be terminated. If the court agrees that your former spouse is cohabitating, the judge can terminate alimony retroactively to the date you filed your motion. For the record, in Pennsylvania, “cohabitation” means that two people are living together in a romantic relationship, similar to husband and wife. Having a boyfriend or girlfriend who stays over every so often does not qualify as cohabitation.

If your former spouse has remarried, or you suspect he or she is cohabitating with someone else, you should reach out to a skilled York County, PA divorce attorney to discuss your next steps.

How can a York County divorce attorney help you?

Whether your former spouse has remarried or is suspected of cohabitating with another person, a qualified legal representative will help you uncover the necessary evidence – in the form of joint leases or a letter from their landlord stating that they live at the address, joint utility bills, individual utility bills and letters addressed to both of them at the same address, et cetera – and present it to the court in order to modify or terminate your alimony payments. If your former spouse has developed a live-in relationship with someone else, he or she is no longer legally dependent upon you. Our firm will apprise you of your rights and responsibilities as well as provide effective guidance so as to maximize your likelihood of success. Let us handle the legal work. Please give us a call today.


We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today. 

Read Our Latest News and Blogs