A child wearing a denim jacket holds hands with an adult, also in denim, while walking outdoors. The scene is accompanied by floating bubbles, creating a playful and serene atmosphere. The view is from behind, obscuring the identities of both individuals.

Once a divorce has been finalized in Pennsylvania, it is not uncommon for circumstances to change. Fortunately, the terms of your divorce agreement are not set in stone. If you can no longer afford to make regular child support payments, for example, you would have the right to request a modification from the court; however, it is important to understand that these conditions cannot be changed on a whim. You must be able to show that an identifiable change in circumstances has occurred—whether you are the parent who pays or receives child support. Some of the most common changes that prompt a request for child support modifications in Pennsylvania include:

Increasing the Amount of Child Support

  • The paying parent has experienced an increase in income (at least 25%)
  • The child has become ill or disabled – resulting in costly medical expenses
  • The child has grown older – making it more expensive to care for them

Decreasing the Amount of Child Support

  • The paying parent has experienced a decrease in income (at least 25%)
  • The custodial parent has inherited a significant amount of money
  • The paying parent has been unemployed for a certain amount of time

If you have been faced with the need to modify your existing child support order, whatever the reason may be, you should not hesitate to discuss your case with a York divorce attorney at Ilkhanoff & Silverstein. Not only does our firm offer more than 30 years of experience, but we have assisted countless individuals throughout Pennsylvania in resolving their contentious family law matters. For this reason, you can trust that your case will be in good hands when you turn to a York divorce lawyer at our firm for help. All you have to do is give us a call today at (717) 744-0531 to get started. If you would rather contact us online, however, you can also fill out a free case evaluation form.