Many people do not realize that texting and driving is the leading cause of car accidents in the U.S. In fact, the Federal Communication Commission has stated that texting while driving is six times more likely to cause a car accident than drunk driving. Despite the dangers, many people continue to text while driving, leading to serious accidents. If you are involved in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on for more information.
What Do I Do After an Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a number of important steps to take:
- Cal 911: The police can call you an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene: One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, make sure to obtain their phone number and/or email as they may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Seek medical attention: It is important that you go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident occurs. This ensures that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with evidence of the origin and extent of your injuries. Make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: A skilled attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage, cell phone records, and more.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to be sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years. This means that if you fail to file within two years from the date of the accident, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover compensation. Retain the help of an experienced personal injury attorney to avoid missing any important deadlines.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, contact our firm to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.