Did you know that over sixty thousand pedestrians are injured every year in traffic incidents? Because these accidents are so common, and often so severe, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about pedestrian accidents in Pennsylvania.
What do I do if I am Involved in a Pedestrian Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. An accident can take a serious toll on an individual, mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially. You likely deserve compensation to help ease these burdens.
When it comes to a personal injury case, you will have to provide proof that your accident was caused by the negligence of another party. In order to do this, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911
- The police can file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, obtain witness statements, and more.
- Document the scene
- If possible, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document your injuries, and any damage done to the vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If someone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Additionally, they may have a different perspective, seeing the accident as a bystander. This can be very helpful when it comes to a personal injury case. Ask for their name and contact information before leaving the scene.
- Seek medical attention
- One of the most important things you can do is visit the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after your accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced attorney
- A personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, such as security camera footage or police reports.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, reach out to our firm today. We will fight for you to recover the compensation you need and deserve to heal.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.