Many people fear becoming injured in a plane accident. Fewer worry about getting injured simply waiting for their flights. But, airport accidents are common occurrences. Airports have lots of amenities and thousands of visitors, so there are a lot of ways for accidents to happen. If you are injured in an airport, you may be entitled to receive compensation. Read on to learn more about how airport accidents occur and what to do if you become injured.
Common Airport Accidents
- A baggage claim injury
- Slip and falls resulting from wet floors, restaurant spills, etc.
- On trams, escalators, elevators and other transportation systems
- Airport construction, remodeling projects and debris
- Curbside accidents resulting from shuttles, taxis, etc.
- Parking lot accidents resulting from potholes, poor lighting, lack of security, etc.
What if I am Injured
- Call 911. If you are seriously injured, you will need medical attention. Additionally, this will allow you to obtain documentation of your injuries.
- Collect proof of negligence. In order to receive compensation, you will need to provide proof that some form of negligence caused your accident. To do this, you should take photos and videos of the hazardous materials that caused your accident. You may also want to gather the contact information of anyone who witnessed your accident.
- Reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
Generally, in Pennsylvania, you will have two years to file a personal injury claim. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. This means that if you do not file your claim within two years of your injury, you will likely lose your chance to recover compensation. Additionally, airports are usually government property. This means that you must file a Notice of Claim. This is a document that warns the airport that you intend to pursue legal action. This must be filed early on in the process. As a result, you will need to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. When you are recovering from an injury, it can be difficult to begin the legal process, but it is important that you do not hesitate.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an airport, contact our firm to discuss your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED PENNSYLVANIA FIRM
We understand that going through the legal system alone can be both confusing and highly stressful. That is why it is our job to help you through every step of the process ahead. For years, we have been helping clients throughout Lancaster County and its surrounding areas through a wide range of legal matters, including personal injury cases, criminal defense matters, family law issues, estate planning law matters, and more. If you need legal assistance, we are here to help. Contact Ilkhanoff & Silverstein today.